Botany and Art: First 15
This is the weekly sketchbook assignment, called the first 15, for my Botany and Art Unit.
W1- Day Two
- More the 20% of the world's 350,000 know plant species are in danger of extinction.
- Thousands of these plants have never been describes or studied by science. If they are lost, they will be lost even to human memory.
- Botanical Illustrators like Alice Tangerini work side by side with botanist around the world to create records and visual descriptions for threatened species.
- While a photography of a plant shows one member of a species, with all of its individual traits, and illustrator can better represent a typical member of a species.
- Illustrators can also emphasize specific details, the details a scientist might be studying, and eliminate details that are irrelevant or distracting.
W1- Day Three
Our drawing for this week will be in our field guide.
W1- Day Four
Write in 5-10 complete sentences. Do you think it is important for humans to continue to document and record endangered species of plants and animals? Why or why not?
W1- Day Five
Using you best artistic vocabulary in 3-5 sentences, what Elements of Art or Principals of design did you find the most useful when observing and recording your plants this week.